Aftermath (Sirantha Jax Series #5)

Aftermath - Ann Aguirre What I liked:This one was truly a character-driven adventure. Yes, you got it right and yes, it is possible; at least Ann Aguirre can make it happen. Almost all her characters are fully-fledged and seem completely alive and still they get plenty of action! Easy? Well, not exactly...We finally get more information about March, Hit, Adele, Doc and March's nephew, but most of all Vel. Sirantha’s path from an anti-heroine and a boobs-flashing rebel to a self-aware, courageous, mature woman is very impressive. The best thing is she owes a lot of her newfound dedication and maturity to the strong, loyal bounty hunter, Velith, who looks like a big bug in a chitin body but is one of the best aliens I've encountered in sci-fi books - really the more you know about him the more you cherish him. He is wise, supportive, undemanding, able to defend himself, full of good ideas and loyal - could you wish anything more in a prospective partner? So what he isn't exactly human-handsome?What's more, Ann Aguirre is an amazing story teller - she can keep you occupied all the time. She started with this crazy sci-fi Grimspace world but what she really has given us are unforgettable characters, a fantastic, very original vision and a gripping story. It can appeal to lovers of different genres.What I didn't like:Well, the book seemed to me divided artificially into two parts: the trial of Sirantha and her trip to planet Mareeq, to deliver Baby-Z2 to his parents. I wish both parts were longer and more developped; that way Jax's story arc was just too extended. Also sometimes I was a tiny bit annoyed by all these messages and letters.The cover: cheeesy...definitely worse than the content, believe me.Final verdict:If you don't have anything terribly against this mix of genres do read this series, it is worth it! I just hope the final part will be as good as the frist five!Aguirre says that Jax is going to get her HEA (happily every after) in the last book (Endgame) that's going to be published next year - that seems clearly to indicate some sort of resolution with March. I'm very interested to see how this one works out and how other mysteries will be solved like the real identity of Edun or the fate of Jael (no, I don't think he died in prison, b*****d).