Daughter of Smoke and Bone

Daughter of Smoke and Bone - What I liked:The way the book starts. It is a paranormal romance but it starts where usually such novels never dare to thread – Karou rejects, like for the umpteen time, a clumsy attempt to kiss and make up, made by a boy called Kazimir who is a devastatingly handsome young actor and a selfish orifice in one (quite a mish-mash, don't you think?)- as soon as he took Karou’s virginity he boasted of it to all Prague and the immediate vicinity in minute detail; he also started cheating on her with one of their mutual friends in no time at all. Now he wants Karou back because... she can help him earn more money. Isn't he a sweetie? Such a piece of normality in an YA book I always like and appreciate. The way Karou treated the said orifice boy (ok: an asshole, here you go) was also great – her feelings were hurt but she still showed a great sense of humour and a lot of integrity. Let’s face it, integrity is something most contemporary teens seem never heard of so it was a fantastic lesson delivered without moralizing. Well done!The setting. Prague is a magical city and it was obvious the author has felt that charm as well. The fact that this book’s narration takes place mostly there I found really enticing and I must mention we get a few nice descriptions of different streets and places. What a pity we never hear Zuzana or Karou actually speak Czech.As I’ve already mentioning the setting…the narration pace is not bad either! Laini Taylor weaves words together beautifully and she crafts the plot so that you are completely pulled into her world, captivated and forced to read on. You simply devour her creations and her unique fantasy Prague. I liked demons a.k.a. chimeras the best.The sense of humour. You got one sample in my Tuesday Teaser not so long ago. It is always easier to make me like a book when one or several of characters are cynically sweet. Here the dialogues between Karou and her friend Zuzana were my favourite scenes. That and the little creature called Kishmish – I simply adore the name! If you don’t know any Slavonic language you might wonder why – here is the explanation. I use this word from time to time if I want to describe something that doesn’t resemble really anything at all. Kishmish, as its name indicates, is a mixture of different animals, in this case a bat and a crow or a raven. A great idea for a name of a small demonic entity!Finally...the wishes. You know the saying - be careful what you wish for because sometimes you can get it. It is a recurrent theme in this book as well - emphasizing the fact that plenty of people don't think about their wishes at all despite the fact that they should do it for their own good. Brimstone pays for the teeth he buys with wishes currency in the form of beads or metal discs; some of these wishes are innocuous - they can do little more than make another person sneeze or itch; the others can be so enormous that the rippling consequences are impossible to predict. The whole premise brings new meaning to the saying, quoted above. I like new meanings so I enjoyed it very much. I hope that narrative theme will be continued.What I didn’t like: Well…angels. As simple as that. No surprises, I know - more often than not I have issues with them. In this novel angels are not only divided into males and females (the same is true for demons) and I somehow always find such a division deeply wrong, but they also come as heavily muscled, incredibly handsome/beautiful beings which, nevertheless, have to use a bathroom (gasp!) and shave (a double gasp!) Of course I am thinking about the males but I suppose she-angels shave as well, maybe just different body parts; anyway I wouldn’t be surprised if they did. Well, would it actually hurt if these angels turned into humans? Ok, I might have survived angels and their shaving issues if not for another, bigger snag. Enter Akiva, the bane of the book!Akiva the seraph warrior and the main squeeze of our sweet Karou is too handsome and too schematic for his own good. Almost no sense of humour, just a lot of attitude, soldier training and two big wings which can set a house on fire. No fun. To tell you the truth while I was truly engrossed in the first half of this book, by the time Akiva was introduced and the story began describing his love with Madrigal (a demon girlfriend from his past, I say no more because it is a major spoiler) I had slowly begun to lose interest. I simply knew what would happen next as if a malevolent fallen angel whispered it in my ear. Unfortunately I was right every single time. No good - omniscience is bad for your morale.Then the pinkish romantic thread hit me like a ton of rose petals (always nicer than a ton of bricks but equally heavy and a bit stifling after a while) - Romeo and Julliet, the star-crossed lovers and their tragic story haunted me all over again throughout the second part plus some reincarnation as condiment and an eternal battle between…er…two evils…well…anyway these were the most silly parts in otherwise quite original YA book. I can clearly see the direction in which the author is going and so I am half in half out for the next installment that, I am sure, will be published in the near future. I fear it might ruin the initial premise for me. It would be such a pity. What's more, we might not return to Prague any time soon although I do hope we will. We’ll see.Final verdict:Not bad start for an YA romantic book but...I have a feeling it might get worse. A lot worse. I do hope I am wrong. Still, before I get the second installment I will have to read some reliable reviews.