Skybound

Skybound - Aleksandr Voinov What I liked:- The pace and way of narration. It’s done in first person limited and it doesn’t feel rushed although Felix must have been pretty tense, working around the clock as a military mechanic. Still he tells about his fascination with Baldur Vogt, a Nazi flying ace, almost with poetic calm; it's the love of his young life after all. There are several m/m sex scenes which also are presented very tastefully.- The story itself. It was an interesting wartime romance although described in a relatively short novella. Well, this time, as I was busy at work, I actually appreciated the fact that it was so short. Of course there is nothing better than a big fat novel but only if you have enough time to read it.- The attention to detail. It is a historical novel and evidently the author did a lot of research. I always appreciate such a serious approach toward different, allegedly not very important tidbits. - Let me also tell you here that the book was edited in a very meticulous way; I bought a Kindle e-book and it was really done to perfection: no typos, no grammar errors (at least I didn’t notice anything), a beautiful layout, including these tell-tale vintage planes adorning the pages. It was really a pleasure to read.What I didn’t like:- I am not a WWII historian so please, don’t take my carping very seriously. Still I have read several books concerning that period, among them the memoirs of Hitler’s last secretary (‘Until the Final Hour’ by Traudl Junge to be more precise). Comparing these accounts to the story of Mr Voinov I couldn’t help wondering how come Baldur and Felix not only got a leave straight before the final attack but also they had no problems with finding some provisions. Actually their common meal in the house of Baldur was, for that period, a real feast. Of course I might be wrong because, let me repeat it once again, I am not a professional historian. Perhaps those leaves were granted till the very end. Still I admit it sounded a bit spurious to me even though I understood why the author needed that leave rather badly.- I was a bit surprised at the ending. Once again, it is hardly a flaw but…taking into account the fact that Felix’s love interest’s name was Baldur…instantly I made two connections: Baldur von Schirach, a Nazi youth leader later convicted of being a war criminal (at Nuremberg he was sentenced and served 20 years for his role in deportation of Viennese Jews) and Baldur from Norse mythology, whose death led to the destruction of other gods at Ragnarök. Both these comparisons proved to be misleading – the novella ends with almost a fairy tale-ish HEA. I admit I was a tiny bit disappointed by it, I expected something more bitter-sweet, closer to real life. Yes, it seems nobody will turn me into a good romance fan - just my luck. ;pFinal verdict:If you like m/m romance in historical setting, try this one. Really not bad, all things considering. 3 ½ stars (as there are no halves here so I gave four.)