Hell Fire (Corine Solomon Series #2)

Hell Fire (Corine Solomon Series #2) - Corine and Chance, her ex boyfriend, visit Kilmer, a sleepy town where Corine used to live and where her mom died. Or rather was murdered. Corine wants to solve that mysterious death in order to move on with her life. It won’t be easy. Kilmer is truly a town straight from a horror movie and apparently nothing changed much there since 1950s – no internet, no ATMs, no public phones, no contact with the outside world.When things get dangerous Corine is joined by her almost-love-interest-cum-mentor Jesse Saldana, an empath who feels she is in dire need of help. With the help of another gifted girl, Shannon, they will try to find out what it wrong with Kilmer and its sleepy, backward inhabitants. Evil magical powers will gather and fight back, defending their status quo. Titillating factor:There is more romance than in the first part. Still nothing substantial. By the way, be warned - Ms Aguirre, not unlike her heroine, Corine, is a woman after my own heart – to quote her former boyfriend (Corine's, not Ms Aguirre's of course ;) ) she has a mean streak as wide as Mississippi river. Those chicklit fair fans who like supporting different “teams” in their free time should be especially careful – no matter whether you take lovely Texan Jesse’s or smoldering and exotic Chance’s side, the author will make you suffer. Every kiss, every steamy bathroom scene must be paid heavily for afterwards.So…we are back to the classic triangle – two hotties are vying for attention of a close-to-average but gifted gall…the one difference is that she is not so sure about either of them. After a while it can make you irritated. Well, don’t get me wrong - it’s really nice that our Corine learned to appreciate her own value and to make her own choices like an adult woman. I just wonder whether she isn’t overpricing her assets. Let’s face it – both guys are very interested in a long-term relationship with her and have already shown an uncommon degree of commitment. To no avail. Corine wants them constantly on their knees, begging and groveling time and again. In real life such a woman, be it even a supermodel with heavenly voice and brilliant career, would wake up one day, look at her empty bed and sang after Cher: “If I could turn back time, if I could find a way…” (yes, I quote Cher deliberately in order not to disappoint a girl called Melissa…;) ).Maybe the third book will do the charm. I would advise Corine to invest more in a certain Internet acquaintance...What I liked:Corine is still a nice character I can relate to. Not fully but nobody is perfect.The mystery and horror atmosphere were well rendered indeedThe book was very readable and the narration flowed seamlessly.I like the titles of this series - all names of interesting drinks :) which are featured in the plot. Nice touch!The ending was satisfactory to me.What I didn’t like:Baddies were as usual a bit flat, a tad to dark and evil, without some deeper psychological portraits. One demon was strangely not scary...Chihuaua still alive…so Legal Blonde failed to collect it back? I understand…such an irritating animal.I preferred Mexican climates to Kilmer Georgia, with all due respect. You know, some like blondes, some like brunettes…both covers are a bit graceless...I would prefer the drinks.Final verdict:I liked the second one but I wasn’t overly excited about it. I am willing to give the next part a try, though, so it wasn’t totally bad. Typical summer chicklit with not very typical ending.